Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Palm Beach County Immigration Attorney LawPay
Schedule a Consultation Today ~ Hablamos Español 561-478-5353
Palm Beach County Immigration Attorney > Blog > Immigration > Are Intra-Company Transfers Easier than Investment Visas?

Are Intra-Company Transfers Easier than Investment Visas?


You may be interested in obtaining an investment visa. Also known as a “golden visa,” this strategy allows you to use your personal wealth to work and live in the United States. But what happens if you don’t meet the requirements? An intra-company transfer could be easier to obtain in many ways. For more information, be sure to discuss this topic alongside a skilled immigration lawyer in Palm Beach County.

L-1 Visa vs. EB-5 Visa: Which Is Better? 

The L-1 Visa and the EB-5 Visa are more similar than many immigrants realize. Although the L-1 Visa falls under the “Intra-Company Transfer” program, it can also function as a type of investor visa.

Immigrants often look at the L-1 Visa and assume they need to work for a specific company before qualifying. At face value, this visa applies only to employees who wish to transfer from a foreign branch to a US subsidiary. However, business owners and managers can also qualify for this type of visa.

In contrast, the EB-5 visa is clearly targeted towards investors. You need to invest a set amount to qualify, which is usually around $1 million. You may also need to meet other requirements, such as job creation.

Can You Get an L-1 Visa By Investing Less? 

Theoretically, you could obtain an L-1 Visa by investing a lower amount compared to an EB-5 Visa. While the EB-5 Visa requires you to invest a predetermined dollar amount, you only need to open a US subsidiary to qualify for an L-1 Visa. You may also qualify if you acquire a controlling share of an existing US company. As long as you meet these requirements, you could obtain an L-1 Visa by investing a lower sum compared to the EB-5 Visa.

Consider the Pros and Cons of L-1 Visas vs. EB-5 Visas 

To approach this decision, you should learn more about the pros and cons of each visa. Although an L-1 Visa might require a lower investment sum, you may experience more restrictions. For example, you can only work for the company that you established or acquired. If this company struggles to earn income, you might find yourself with few options. If the company fails, you might lose your visa. In addition, you can only stay in the United States for a certain period of time with an L-1 Visa. In contrast, an EB-5 Visa lets you stay in the country even if your investment completely fails.

Discuss Intra-Company Transfers with a Palm Beach County Immigration Lawyer 

Intra-company transfers may be the right choice for you. But an online article can only provide limited answers. To determine whether this makes sense based on your needs, why not consult with a Palm Beach County immigration lawyer? Choose the Devore Law Group today to learn more about your immigration options. Even with fairly limited wealth, it may be possible to gain residency through business investment. Reach out today to discuss the next steps.




Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

© 2019 - 2024 Devore Law Group, P.A. All rights reserved.
This law firm website and legal marketing is managed by MileMark Media.

  • facebook
  • twitter
  • linkedin
Contact Form Tab